Panaji, April 24: For the first time, Goa Tourism in association with the Department of Agriculture, Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) and Goa Handicrafts Corporation is giving an opportunity to tourists to experience Goa in a nutshell. The Goa Coconut and Cashew Festival 2015 is the first of its kind to be held from April 29 to May 3, 2015 at D.B. Bandodkar Ground, Campal, Panaji, Goa.
The festival will showcase all characteristics of Goa’s agro-based products which form an important part in the lives of the local Goans. From food to handicrafts, games, beverages, desserts and cultural programmes, the entire event will revolve around Coconut and Cashew.
This festival will present the benefits of coconut and cashew in a creative and unique manner. There will be coconut tree climbing workshops, demos on Feni distillation, handicrafts made from coconut and cashew and even cooking workshops, exhibitions by Dept. of Agriculture and ICAR on cashew and coconut grafts and plants which will also be on sale, Interesting and innovative games will be on display using the nuts as an integral part of the fun quotient. A Trail to Cashew and Coconut plantations is being drawn up and activities such as master class on processing of Cashew and Coconut products is also being planned. The schedule will be announced later.
True to any Goan festival, this one too will have some foot-tapping entertainment; these programmes will be held against the backdrop of a mesmerizing stage design that will be based on a theme to present the heritage value of both coconut and the cashew nut. Various themed dances, songs and acts that go with the festival will be conceptualized and presented to make the evening an integrated edutainment capsule. At the beginning and final day, a performance titled ‘The Coconut and Cashew Musical’ will be staged.
April 29:::: • The Coconut and Cashew Musical – A thrilling 30 minute non-stop dance performance with 30 exemplary dancers on stage by DANCE-O-PHILIA, Mesmerisers and Viva Goa, combined with a LIVE mesmerizing digital mapped backdrop.
• The T Band by violinist Selwyn- Be witness to soothing performances by this extraordinary acoustic band.
• Goenchim Noketram- This internationally acclaimed Goan folk dance and singing troupe is all set to bring you to your feet, with unique medley of songs and colourful costumes with 15 performers on stage.
• LORNA LIVE – Goa’s very own nightingale that needs no introduction and is set to put the stage on fire!
April 30:::: • Latin Connection – What better way to connect with Goa’s Latin roots than with this sensational brand, which will feature Chrystal Farrell, Verphina Dias and Zezinho Fernandes, put together by Colin D’cruz.
• Dance illusion – Groove to exhilarating live performances with Dr. Martin and his troupe.
• Rodney LIVE – This world-renowned celebrity performer and musical genius, with explosive energy and magnetic stage presence, along with his 10 piece band and a LIVE DJ will definitely leave you shouting for more! Rodney’s set will consist of Bollywood, Punjabi, Marathi, English and Konkani music.
May 1st • Grace- Get your souls stirring with this entrancing group, as a blend of perfect harmony, unique instruments and four talented musicians come together.
• DANCE-O-PHILIA and Viva Goa- Witness a breathtaking Aerial and Fusion act by these incredible troupes.
• LYNX The Band- Their unique rendition and style of music are sure to keep the atmosphere pumping!
• RHYTHM AND BLUES The Band featuring LULU- Melodious tunes and foot tapping music coming your way with this 6 piece band.
May 2nd:::: • Ambot Tik- This 2 piece serenading duos with their unique combination of instruments are all set to welcome you with vibrant and soul touching folf music.
• Gavana- Goa’s well renowned 16- piece troupe performs to a harmonious blend of LIVE music songs and dance, born from the soil of Goa itself!
• 2Blue and band- This English and bollywood Rock Fusion vovalist has been the frontman of the iconic rock band Vayu and the multi-award winning band Zedde.2Blue has had the privilege of sharing stage-space with hard rock legends such as Paul DiAnno9ex-Iron Maiden),Matthias Eklundh, Jonas Hellborg, George Lynch and Bumblefoot.
May 3rd :::: • The coconut and Cashew Musical- A thrilling 30 minute non-stop dance performance with 30 exemplary dancers on stage by DANCE-O-PHILIA, Mesmerisers and Viva Goa, combined with a LIVE mesmerizing digital mapped backdrop.
• Shyam Edwankar- Travel to a new world of music with this world renowned percussionist as he creates breathtaking rhythms on 7 percussion instruments that add to his musical charm.
• BOMBAY BASSMENT- The Band-Out of the hustle and bustle of Bombay,a sonic force was forged bringing together a crew of artistes with diverse musical tastes. Branching out from a traditional sound system and taking it live with a robust Rhythm Section, a phenomena called Bombay Bassement was born. Since 2010,Bombay Bassment has made people groove to their unique blend of Hip-Hop, Rap, Reggae, Funk and Drum n Bass.